Innes is Chief Executive of the Australian Industry Group, a leading industry organisation representing businesses in a broad range of sectors including manufacturing, construction, transport, defence, ICT and labour hire. His current appointments include:
– Director of Australian Super
– Director of the Innovative Manufacturing Co-operative Research Centre
– Board Member of the Australian American Leadership Dialogue
– Convenor of the Industry 4.0 Advanced Manufacturing Forum
– Chair of the Migration Council of Australia
– Chair of the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Skilled Migration
– Chair of the RMIT College of Business Industry Advisory Board
Innes served as the Australian Consul General to Los Angeles from 2006 to 2008, where he represented wide-ranging Australian interests on the west coast of the United States, including in the areas of trade, finance, culture, bio-technology, environment and energy sectors.
He was Chief of Staff to the Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Alexander Downer, from 2004 to 2006. Earlier, Innes held a number of private sector and government positions including Manager of Global Public Affairs for Singapore Airlines based in Singapore (2000-04). Innes began his working career as a journalist. His positions included Chief of Staff at The Age newspaper in Melbourne and Chief Political Correspondent for The Age in the Canberra Parliamentary Press Gallery.